From:
MaryAlice Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 1996 08:39:09 -0500
Linda,
I've worked at immunization clinics for my local health department (Kansas,
USA) and we've always explained that the oral polio vaccine is weakened,
live virus and therefore is excreted in the baby's stools. We stress good
handwashing for anyone who is changing baby's diaper and before we give the
vaccine, we ask in the screening data form  if there is anyone in the home
on immunosuppressant medication. Good handwashing should be all that's
necessary, not re-vaccinating the  mother!
I recall hearing something about new recommendations re: the polio
injectable vaccine while the ILCA conference was going on, but I was
distracted and don't remember what it was. Anyone else hear it?

By the way, it was great to put faces to the names at the Lactnet meeting at
the conference. And it felt good to show our appreciation as an organization
when we were all together in the ballroom and cheered for Kathy A.--what a
superb JHL editor!!!!Worth her weight in gold, (hint, hint).

Mary Alice Phillips
Wamego, Kansas USA