Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 10:57:58 EDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (268 lines)
Bruce Kemp wrote:                                                               

> I'm new to the list.  There seems to be quite a few of us.  I have            
> been into bees for a year now and live in Virginia in the USA.  I             
> understand there is quite a varroa mite problem here they carry a             
> virus that has wiped out most of the hives around here...                     
>                                                                               
> So to summarize my questions:                                                 
>                                                                               
>         1.  Is the virus wide-spread?                                         
>         2.  Do other things cause the virus besides varroa?                   
>         3.  What are patties?                                                 
>         4.  What to do about tracheal mites?                                  
>         ...                                                                   

Ted Fischer responded:                                                          

> 1) I don't believe that the question is settled as to whether or not          
>    the varroa mites carry a virus or they themselves cause all the            
>    destructive effects we're seeing in infested colonies...                   
>                                                                               
> 2) Virus or not, these effects are seen only in varroa infested               
>    colonies.                                                                  
>                                                                               
> 3) Patties are made of vegetable shortening and sugar, and were               
>    originally made as a vehicle for the introduction of terramycin            
>    into the colony for foulbrood prevention, since terramycin breaks          
>    down easily except in the presence of fats.  It was subsequently           
>    noticed that tracheal mite populations were diminished in hives            
>    containing these patties, and that the control patties without the         
>    terramycin had the same value in limiting tracheal mites.                  
>                                                                               
> 4) The easiest way to control tracheal mites, therefore, is to put            
>    patties in the hive after the supers are removed.  This will               
>    control both foulbrood diseases as well as tracheal mites.  The            
>    mites are mainly a problem in the fall, when they build up and             
>    adversely affect the winter bees.  Putting patties in the hives at         
>    this time of year is by far the best thing to do for tracheal              
>    mites.  Patties are commercially available (Terrapatties) or you           
>    can make your own (a 3 lb can of shortening blended with 5 lbs of          
>    sugar and a small packet of Terramycin (TM25))....                         
>                                                                               
> Ted Fischer                                                                   

Now, Aaron Morris adds way more than 2 cents worth, with apologies              
in advance to those who have read it already.                                   

At the risk of wasting bandwidth to repost recent information from              
this forum and sci.agriculture.bees, I'm posting the following excerpt          
from the May issue of the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association            
newsletter (which I author and shamelessly steal from both electronic           
forums information that may be of value to beekeepers who aren't                
connected).  The points I want to get across are 1) mites as a vector           
in spreading viruses and 2) the possibility that grease patties                 
(vegetable oil and sugar with no other medications) may be a deterrent          
to tracheal mites and such patties (with no other medications) may be an        
appropriate treatment throughout the honey producing season.  Please            
note these are not my original ideas, speculation abounds, and the bee          
scientists readily admit that they too do not have definitive answers to        
the whys and wherefores behind these issues.                                    

As Rod Serling would say, "Submitted for your approval..."                      

>-----------------<                                          

Dr. Cynthia Scott-Dupree Addresses Worcester County                        
                          Beekeepers                                            

I  had the pleasure of attending the April 13 meeting of the                   
 Worcester County Beekeepers Association  where  Dr.  Cynthia                   
 Scott-Dupree  of  the  University of Guelph in Ontario spoke                   
 about Canadian Beekeeping and mites as a vector in spreading                   
 viruses in bees.                                                               

The "Canadian Beekeeping" presentation was very informative,                   
 but my main interest (and that of the more than 100  attend-                   
 ing  beekeepers) was in hearing what Dr. Scott-Dupree had to                   
 say about the mites.  The conundrum faced by bee researchers                   
 is that it's easy to blame bees' demise  on  V-mites  or  T-                   
 mites  or both, but the truth of the matter is that although                   
 we know mites are here, scientists aren't sure what  exactly                   
 is  the  cause  of  bee pathology based on the effect of the                   
 mites' presence.  The focus of current research  in  on  how                   
 the  mites may act as vectors in spreading the approximately                   
 twenty identified bee viruses, which are hard to identify in                   
 the field and whose symptoms may appear as common infectious                   
 diseases, hence being easily misidentified.  Studies done by                   
 Drs. Dupree and Brenda Ball (in the UK) have indicated  that                   
 with  the  stock  of bees tested in their studies, there ap-                   
 pears to  be  no  correlation  between  tracheal  mites  and                   
 honeybee  viruses.   This is the good news, which could lead                   
 one to conclude that although tracheal mites are  a  problem                   
 not to be overlooked, the threat is not as nefarious as that                   
 posed  by varroa mites, which did exhibit a significant cor-                   
 relation in the spread of chronic bee paralysis virus  types                   
 one  and  two,  hairless black bee virus, Kashmir bee virus,                   
 black queen cell virus and others.  It is important to  note                   
 that many of these viruses are present in a hive environment                   
 in  all stages of bee development as non-damaging pathogens.                   
 However it is perhaps the manner in  which  varroa  feed  on                   
 honeybees that activates the viruses, helping them to flour-                   
 ish to the detriment of the colony population.                                 

In  the meantime while scientists continue to search for an-                   
 swers and solutions to the mite problems we beekeepers  need                   
 to  manage  our bees to reduce stressors as much as possible                   
 to help them remain healthy.  This includes  using  approved                   
 medications  such as Fumidil-B for nosema and Terramycin for                   
 foulbrood, and approved treatments to  combat  mites,  which                   
 include  grease patties, menthol and Apistan.  Of course one                   
 must always follow the directions when  using  these  treat-                   
 ments  to avoid contaminating the honey to be harvested.  In                   
 these mite infested times a beekeeper  may  have  to  forego                   
 some  of the honey crop in order to treat their bees in con-                   
 formance with label instructions.  The mites have made keep-                   
 ing bees a whole new ball game and new management techniques                   
 need to be developed to keep beekeepers from striking out.                     

>-----------------<                                          

An  article  by Dr. Diana Sammataro of Ohio State University                   
 titled "Tracheal Mites Can Be Suppressed by Oil Patties" ap-                   
 peared in the  April  '96  issue  of  _American_Bee_Journal_                   
 (Vol  136,  No.  4).   The gist of the article was that  the                   
 continuous presence of vegetable  oil  based  sugar  patties                   
 within  honeybee  hives  can  be  an  effective  way to keep                   
 tracheal mites in check.  The sidebars (taken from pages 280                   
 and 281) are included in this issue of the BeeLine.                            

REMEMBER! NO TERRAMYCIN WHILE HONEY SUPERS ARE ON THE HIVE!                    

In addition to the previous ABJ article,  other  methods  of                   
 delivering  the  vegetable  oil  have  been discussed on the                   
 internet.                                                                      

* From: John Iannuzzi <[log in to unmask]>                           
   Subject: Iannuzzi Method for Treating T-Mite                                 

1.  Since the appearance of tracheal mite, I've  never  used                   
     the  recommended  treatment of a 50-gram pack of menthol                   
     crystals applied about Sept. 1 when  it  is  still  warm                   
     enough to convert the stuff to gas.                                        
 2.  Today  I  placed a paper towel saturated w/vegetable oil                   
     (any kind; cheaper the  better)  between  the  two  deep                   
     brood  chambers.    Within a week the bees will have re-                   
     moved it. Especially noticeable if one runs pollen traps                   
     as I do, on seven of my strongest colonies (only have 12                   
     now).                                                                      
 3.  I also do this September 1st when I repeat the treatment                   
     a week later.                                                              
 4.  In talks w/my fellow beekeepers who use menthol, my sur-                   
     vival rate is as good as theirs.                                           
 5.  Theory  is  that the oil makes mite transference between                   
     bees difficult.                                                            
 6.  I know that people use diluted formic acid for the  same                   
     purpose even though it is said to be "not approved yet."                   
     C'est la vie. Suum cuique.                                                 

Jack the Bman                                                                  
 Ellicott City Md USA                                                           

* From: Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>                                      

I  wonder  about  the paper towel method.  Is this scientif-                   
 ically proven to do anything related to T-mites?   It  would                   
 logically  seem that there would only be vegetable oil pres-                   
 ence in the hive for a short time using this procedure,  un-                   
 less the oil goes into the wax, or something of that sort.                     

I  thought  that  Sammataro  et  al indicated that continued                   
 presence over time is the secret to measurable success  with                   
 grease patties, at least.  Perhaps I misunderstood.                            

I would be interested to know if there is any data (measure-                   
 ment  compared  to controls) for rational evaluation of this                   
 towel recommendation or if this idea is yet unproven.                          

Many of us have been getting along with no treatment for TM,                   
 so just simple colony survival with no controls or  measure-                   
 ment of mite levels is no indication of efficacy.                              

The  mechanism  of  TM  control using oils and grease is not                   
 well  understood  (AFAIK),  so  if  this  is  scientifically                   
 proven, then measured and proven success with this technique                   
 would give some insight into the mechanism, perhaps.                           

It  would  be  nice to know that there is a proven alternate                   
 method to putting grease patties on, but is there?                             
                               Regards                                          
                               W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                         
                               RR#1,    Swalwell,     Alberta                   
                               Canada T0M 1Y0                                   

* From: Franklin Humphrey Sr. <[log in to unmask]>                     

FYI,  Dr.  Delaplane  has been testing this method of summer                   
 control of T-mites for  about  3  years.    He  has  advised                   
 beekeepers  in  Georgia that is a very effective method when                   
 bees cannot be treated with menthol.                                           

It  is  thought  that  removal of the vegetable oil from the                   
 hive creates greasy bees.  This in turn hinder the migration                   
 of the mature mites from the older bees to the younger bees.                   
 The patties can be in the form of Crisco or other solid veg-                   
 etable oils placed directly on  a  paper  towel  or  can  be                   
 patties  without  the terramycin.   Some people say that the                   
 paper towel method is  better  and  others  like  the  patty                   
 method.    Personally  I  make  my patties only about half a                   
 pound in size and put them between waxed paper.  When I  put                   
 them in the hive, I tear holes in the paper so that the bees                   
 can  get  at it.   The waxed paper keeps it together so that                   
 the patty can be moved out of  the  way  to  manipulate  the                   
 hive.                                                                          

As  far as I know there are no official papers written about                   
 this method.  It is something that is being tried by  numer-                   
 ous  beekeepers  in Georgia and Tennessee and seems to be an                   
 effective method of slowing the  spread  of  V-mites  during                   
 production periods when the bees cannot be medicated.                          
                               Frank Humphrey                                   

* From: Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>                                      

I  appreciate Frank taking the time to explain what he knows                   
 and what he has heard for our benefit.  A lot of  beekeepers                   
 do  things under mistaken assumptions or from misunderstand-                   
 ing research results or directions, but I think it's reason-                   
 able to ask for evidence before believing what one  is  told                   
 --  especially  if  new information does not agree with what                   
 one has heard before.                                                          

This is a particularly intriguing matter that  affects  many                   
 thousands  of  dollars  in cost -- either of treatment -- or                   
 losses if it doesn't work, so please excuse any  scepticism.                   
 Non-sceptical  beekeepers  tend to lose their bees sooner or                   
 later.                                                                         

Since the original discussion started, I have received  some                   
 private  email from several researchers indicating that they                   
 believe these techniques merit some investigation.  One says                   
 that the trial he did resulted  in  no  significant  benefit                   
 compared  to controls, but he soaked cardboard in salad oil,                   
 not towels.  (Maybe it's the towel that does the trick,  not                   
 the oil)  And the trial was in July -- not the best time.                      

There  is some speculation about the mechanisms that are in-                   
 volved with the grease treatments.   However, I do  not  be-                   
 lieve  that anyone has *proven* how it works -- only that it                   
 does, and that the effects seem independent of the brand  or                   
 source  of vegetable oil.  One particularly interesting the-                   
 ory is that the breakdown  of  oil  (rancidity)  produces  a                   
 chemical  much like a pheremone that the mite uses to detect                   
 young bees.  Of course a SWAG might just say that the grease                   
 just makes it harder to climb into a trachea.                                  

Now what is not clear here is whether you mix sugar into the                   
 patties  or  just  slice off some Crisco.  I've wondered why                   
 that wouldn't work, but have not heard of it being done, and                   
 tested against controls.  I've wondered about  spraying  the                   
 bees  lightly with salad oil, and I've heard of oil fogging,                   
 and other things too.  BUT no matter how nifty  these  ideas                   
 are, I for one, need someone to try them against controls to                   
 decide I should rely on them.  A lack of scientific measure-                   
 ments  is unfortunate.   Perhaps that will be remedied soon.                   
 Hard facts save cold cash.                                                     
                               Regards,                                         
                               Allen                                            

ATOM RSS1 RSS2