From:
Melissa Vickers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 23:22:01 EDT
Bonnie,

You mentioned that the phrase you use for the pregnant women you work with is
"Would you like to be able to breastfeed?" Personally, I think that may give a
subtle message along the lines of "trying" to breastfeed. Either implies that
failure is at least as real a possibility as success, and that there may be a
host of things to overcome in the meantime.

I, too, prefer some of the more neutral phrases that start with the assumption
that women are going to breastfeed, or at least want to hear more about it.
There have been some great suggestions here!

Melissa Vickers, IBCLC