From:
Dany Gauthier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 16:16:40 -0400
Hi Pat!

What you are describind seems to be an over-supply of milk. What we usually
would recommend would be to decrease stimulation to the breasts: one breast
per feeding, and sometimes use the same breast for a few hours (she should
express whenever uncomfortable). Love making involving a lot of
manipulations of the breasts can also cause an imbalance in the demand and
supply process. This mother can also look at her diet: cut out diary
products, sugars (including less fruit and fruit juices), and eat less
protein. Most mothers experience trouble with not enough milk. We are often
puzzled by mothers who have the opposite problem. But many mothers have
stopped to breastfeed because of constant leaking, engorgements and blocked
ducts! I would also think about cabbage leaf to try to bring the production
down...but be sure the baby has a good weight gain!

Dany Gauthier IBCLC
Montreal, Canada
Tel: 514-923-3792
Fax:514-923-3802