From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 May 1996 13:18:18 -0600
> I cannot answer your question without knowing what kind of behaviour
> you are interested in. Some years ago I did some preliminary studies
> on using carbon dioxide to knock out bees after a training sequence,
> there was no problem with their recovery and rather mixed results as
> I recall in the effectiveness of the anesthesia.

I've been wondering about the effects of CO2 on bees since I received
some package bees from New Zealand that had been packed with bags of
dry ice at various places around the pallet.  They looked very dopey
when they arrived, but were clustered properly.

After we installed them, we had some unusual effects, with bees and
queens swarming out of brood chambers and combining in huge swarms.
This only happened with the portion that we hived within 24 hours of
arriving on the plane.  The ones we held two days, seemed pretty
normal and stayed put.

The packages we received from Austrailia exhibited no such behavior,
but they had been trucked and stored for several days after coming
off the plane.

I have wondered if it had anything to do with the CO2, and if it
might, if the effects wear off after a day or so.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0
Internet:[log in to unmask] & [log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, & Art <http://www.internode.net/~allend/>