From:
Maureen Minchin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:57:46 +1000
Pat, no apology needed. I am a nit-picker re attribution: you can't change
historians on that. I'd just recently been reading a very deliberate and
highly political,self-serving, re-writing of breastfeeding history here in
Australia, and probably over-reacted when I saw what seemed like an example
within the profession. My apologies if I came on too strong.

Vermox (mebendazole): wouldn't be an issue in Australia. I certainly
breastfed while swallowing the stuff; so have zillions of other people.

Someone said: "I did not take IBLC, as I wondered what it could do for me."
I support IBLCE certification as the universal gold standard for Lactation
Consultants, the minimum quality assurance for breastfeeding mothers, and
the only way of internationalising breastfeeding knowledge over time. I
also think it is critically important to submit all educational programmes
to the external discipline of an independent examination. IBCLC after my
name says to a mother or a colleague that thay can have confidence in my
having atained a safe minimum standard of practice. I hope to see all those
who call themselves Lactation Consultants move on to being IBCLC:in many
countries you cannot join a professional Lactation Consultants organisation
as a voting member unless you are an IBCLC.We cannot evaluate educational
programmes from afar. We can evaluate whether someone is certified or not.
This is a classic case of supporting the gold standard even if its
immediate usefulness is not obvious to the individual.

I'm sure that those two dentists all told Pam about the effects of
pregnancy medication/chemical exposure on tooth formation? Brian Palmer
will doubtless deal with this question.

 Cheers, MM