From:
Andrea Romeo-Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 May 1996 09:29:50 EST5EDT
First, let me introduce myself. I am trained in the human services with a bachelors in
rehabilitation services and have been working for the past 7-8 years in editing/publishing and
as a freelance writer. I am the mother of a breastfed daughter, (Anjelika, 2 1/2) and after
returning to the workplace when she was almost two, am redefining what  life's work,
(second to mothering) would be the most useful, important and fulfilling for me to do. After
meeting a lactation consultant who provided tremendous help to my sister who just gave birth
to her son (C-section, stressed baby, IV, delayed reunion with mom, a hospital staff less than
knowledgeable about breastfeeding, one lactation consultant to too many mothers in need) I
was brimming with determination (well, you all know the fired feeling).

I contacted WIC where I live and I've started training as a peer counselor. I am gathering from
following the recent discussion re. what to call LCs that the field is relatively new and lacking
in standardization in terms of training. My question: what  does someone like me, entering the
field from scratch do for training--I am considering approaching practicing IBCLCs near me
and asking to apprentice/intern, in order to get more training than an hour or two a week.
This would require quitting my for-income job at the local University and I want to make the
best plan before I do so. (My husband, who cares full time for our daughter, would "switch"
and go to work around the hours I intern.)

Please, with all respect for those of you who have spent years training before certification, and
not looking for the "fast and easy" route, does anyone have any suggestions about how to
proceed? Further insight about value or possible drawbacks to entering the field?

Appreciatively,

Andrea Romeo-Hall, BS, WIC Peer Counselor-In-Training