From:
Margery Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 17:52:17 -0500
It was mentioned that reintroduction of wheat products caused return of
symptoms. Was dairy also reintroduced?

Has the mother eliminated all wheat, oats, rye, and barley products? While
dairy may contribute, soy and chicken can also produce the symptoms you
mentioned. Also, might the baby have had a viral gastroenteritis? I am
assuming stool cultures were done? Is the infant taking vitamins or fluoride
drops? Is there any possibility the infant was offered cereal? I still
frequently find HCPs recommending the addition of cereal to the neonate's
diet--as a sleep aid :-(

If wheat seems to be the allergen then the diet for celiac disease could be
tried. Mother could eat foods made from rice, corn, potato, beans, peas,
tapioca, arrowroot and nuts. Unprocessed meats, fish, eggs, fruits, and
vegetables, white wine, apple cider vinegar and--if it can be determined
they are not allergens--dairy products (without gluten-containing additives,
flavorings or dyes). She would need to avoid wheat, barley, rye, oats, and
products containing them. (A comprehensive guide should be sought
out--because wheat proteins are in such things as grain alcohol, distilled
vinegar, caramel coloring, bouillons--and some hard candies are rolled in
wheat powder! ) A good health food market and comprehensive recipe book
could make this effort less of a loss and more of an adventure in nutrition.
I have heard of two books available in the U.S.: "The Gluten-Free Gourmet"
and "More from the Gluten-Free Gourmet", Bette Hagman, 1993. A nutritionist
could provide other references.

Keep us informed on the outcome of this case.

Margery Wilson, IBCLC
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, Massachusetts