HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 13:48:29 -0500

Dan Mouer said:

<< Carl Steen is correct. Salt-glazed earthenware is not technically
 feasible. However, I am surprised he did not mention alkaline glazes,
 which are common in his neck of the woods...though mainly in the 19th
 c. and never (I think) on refined white wares. If you're not used to
 seeing these, they can appear to be salt-glazed. They can be produced
 at lower temperatures, I believe.

The alkaline glazes we see here in SC are on stonewares. Under poor firing
conditions they can be rough, but they lack the characteristic dimpling of
salt glazed wares. Some varieties of  clear alkaline/feldspathic glazes were
used on industrial earthenwares in the 19th century, but those that we see
here are definitely green.  One might refer to Charles "Terry" Zug's "Turners
and Burners" (UNC Press) for more info and some good color plates. John
Burrison's "Brothers in Clay" (UGA Press) is also very good.

By the way, when I referred to possible unglazed White SGSW I meant thinly
 glazed or unglazed sherds--which would only be a small part of the vessel
overall.