HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kristen and Dan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 1996 00:28:58 -0500
I'm currently looking at a ceramic assemblage from a late 18th-century
farmstead site in southeastern Connecticut and have come across a couple
of questions in the course of writing up the inventory. First, were
refined earthenwares ever salt-glazed and, if they were, how common a
practice was it and what were the firing techniques? Second, I've come
across several sherds of what I believe to be English white salt-glazed
stoneware but which have no glaze left on them.  They don't appear to be
obviously heat-altered as the paste shows no signs of burning - are
there any other taphonomic factors or use patterns which could account
for this condition?
        Thanks in advance for any advice or references you can send my way...

Kristen Heitert
Public Archaeology Survey Team, Inc.
Storrs, CT