From:
gary oberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:27:23 PST
I've been having more than my share of acarine related winter losses
the last 4 years . Way more. What I'm wondering is are there truly   acarine
resistant queens out there? I bought queens from 4 sources last year
all of whom claimed at least some resistance. Initial spot checks on my
outdoor wintered colonies show up to 50% loss in some yards. With the boxes
still heavy. Lots of dead bees out front.  Bees I sent to Calif. have fared much
better but they too show losses that  lead one to believe acarine is the cause.
80 colonies placed in the hot room all look exellent at this time. Anyone else
have any knowledge of how indoor wintered bees compare to outdoor
wintered  as pertains to tracheal mites?