From:
"Wendy.Funk" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 07:49:32 EST
hi!  I thought the letter to expecting families was a great idea,
but I would like to say that one of the lines bothered me:

        Breastmilk is
also able to protect babies from certain illnesses
and diseases, including SIDS (crib death).

Breastfed babies do die from SIDS, too...  Breastfeeding simply
reduces the risk.  If I have learned anything from the loss of
my son (8 hours after birth) it that there are no guarantees,
ever....   Breastfeeding is clearly the best mode of feeding
and I think it should be pushed totally, but...  not as a
"cure" for SIDS>  Also, that line would cause pain to anyone who
had lost a baby to SIDS, regardless of type of feeding.  Why not
change it to "reduces the risk"???

Thanks.  Just my $.02.

Wendy Funk