From:
Lesley Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:50:28 -0500
Thank you Nancy Sherwood for your post on babies and conferences.  I have
been frustrated about this issue.  I was once denied the opportunity of
working on a planning committee for a breastfeeding conference because my
then two-year-old was not welcome.  It was thought that other participants on
the committee might be put off by the lack of professionalism created by the
presence of a nursling with his mother (who considers herself primarily a
professional mother).  I did not participate and was angry, frustrated, and
hurt that breastfeeding advocates would consider this a problem. I even
offered to host the meetings in my home, but my offer was declined, as this
too was considered unprofessional.  Now that my children are in school it is
easier  for me to participate in such events, but I refuse to lose sight of
the importance of baby friendliness.

Lesley Robinson, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Corning, NY