From:
Lesley Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:20:34 -0500
Linda Smith raised a point that I have wondered about a lot - that it may at
some time be considered preferable for HIV+ mothers to breastfeed even in
situations where there are "safe" alternative methods of feeding.  Perhaps it
is my lack of scientific knowledge which makes it hard for me to understand
this, or perhaps I am not asking the right question, but why is it that with
every other disease it is considered protective to pass on antibodies, but
not with this one?  If breastfeeding provides the first immunization, why
would this not work for HIV?  Please could someone explain this to me.  (I
hope I understand the answer!)

Lesley Robinson, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Corning, NY