From:
Phil Veldhuis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 1996 00:35:23 -0600
>    I would appreciate a reply to the question of when varroa mites first
> came into each province of Canada.  So far I have the following
> information:
>
>    Southern Canada did not escape infestation.  By 1989 New Brunswick was
> apparently occupied by varroa mites from the U.S.; Manitoba, Ontario, and
> Quebec had confirmed reports two years later.  A British Columbia
> infestation followed.  Most of Canada, however, remains free of those
> mites.
>

>    Can anyone clarify that statement?

I'm not sure what is meant by "Southern Canada", presumably this means
central Ontario and Quebec; the parts of canada that protrude below the
49th parrallel.  However the first two incursions into Canada by Varoa
were in NB and Mb.  It would make more sense perhaps, if "southern
Canada" simply means those parts of Canada closest to the border.  Indeed
it was these areas which were first infected.  Currently, I would describe
the situation regarding Varroa mites as widespread, but not endemic;
that is, varroa mites exist in many parts of Canada, but is still
highly localised along border regions.  This summer's testing in our
province (MB) did find Varroa in areas well removed from the border.

There has not been any depopulation of colonies for some time.  We are
definately in a "control" rather than a prevention situation.

I personaly trapped and tested the swarm which had the first Varroa mites
in Western Canada.  This swarm was trapped on the Canada-Us border.  The
pattern of discovery of Varroa in Canada suggests that many areas were
infected as a result of the mite moving accross the border, rather than
spreading from  a single or few infections within the country.

Hope this helps,

PHil

--
------------oooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo-------------
Phil Veldhuis           | If I must be a fool, as all those who reason