From:
Susan Betz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 14:12:32 -0500
My husband is a teacher at a joint vocational high school.  School was
called off today, but he went in to catch up on some grading.  While he
was there, he wanted some ice for his ginger ale.  He went down to the
cafeteria, and was rummaging around for a cup, when he found a blue
plastic mug obviously produced by R---.  Printed on the side of the mug
is "GREAT INNOVATIONS IN FORMULA FEEDING."  Then there are four
captioned illustrations:  "Milk Pot (circa 1770)," "Nursing Flask
(circa 1890)," "R--- Prebottled Feeding System (1963)," "The PLUS-2
Bottle (1993)."  This was in a high school cafeteria!  We were trying
to figure out how it got there, and the only thing we could come up
with is that there is a GRADS teacher on staff (who works with pregnant
teenage students).  Judy, the GRADS teacher, is very pro-breastfeeding,
and expressed milk for her children while she worked full time (they
are both older teenagers now), so I'm sure if it went her way she was
trying to get it away from her students.  My point is that the
marketing techniques used apparently even reach into public schools.
I'm sure I don't have to convince anyone reading this post that this
practice is distasteful.  Maybe I'm just not jaded enough, but I was
surprised.
Susan Betz