Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Cindy Stearns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 1996 11:15:51 -0700
     I have received several replies to the question of whether it
is a good idea for children to be actively taught code words for
nursing.  8 people provided me with their thoughtful responses.

     The majority think it is a good idea to use code words for
nursing in order to save the mother from potential embarassment.
(For example, the child who called out "want boobie" in church or
another who yelled "I want tittie" at the bank.)  Perceptions of
sexual abuse and concerns about the attitudes of peers in the
workplace were also reasons for teaching code words to older
children.  A few individuals pointed out that they have mixed
feelings about the need to be discrete and feel it conflicts with
their own committment to breastfeeding and desire to be good role
models.

     I really enjoy hearing about people's thoughts and experiences
on this topic.  Thank you.

Cindy Stearns, Ph.D.
Women's Studies, Sonoma State University