From:
Eileen Martell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 17:03:16 EST
Janet:  Do you know what is in this "tea"?  How often is it given?   How would
the mother give it to the baby, by bottle?  You might persuade the mom to wait
until the baby is 2 or 3 months old so as not to "confuse" the baby between
breast and bottle.   Too much tea could fill up a baby who then may not
breastfeed enough which could lead to inadequate weight gain and insufficient
milk supply.  You know all this, but perhaps the mother doesn't.  Perhaps
breastfeeing is already well established or the mother is already giving
bottles???

Regarding cultural differences:  Certain Asian  and African cultures think the
colostrum is a bad thing and express it off until their milk comes in, meanwhile
giving babies formula, wet nursing or something else.  Asian (Indians) sometimes
don't leave the house for 6 weeks after the birth (when the baby first goes to
the temple to be named and blessed).  These are  just a few I have come across
Living in London  which is very culturally diverse.

My concern is how to educate these mothers without offending them or losing
face.  Often several generations live together so the cultural ties are quite
strong.  Educating the masses is a big job.

Eileen Martell in London, England where it is very late and I hope you will
excuse any illegible typo's.  My hubby and baby are both asleep and the light is
off so I can't see the keyboard very well.

PS:  Does anyone else have a problem with runaway letters or is it just my
typppppping.......