HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joel Jay Tyberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 10:38:40 -0500
Hi back!
As far as I was told, the Mensell book is used primarily to describe the
color of the soils in which one is excavating.  And although I do find
its use rather difficult at times--even frustrating, I think its a good
idea to try and use a standardized medium for description whenever
possible.  I agree that color-blindness (color-sight impaired for all the
pc people out there) can pose a problem when trying to interprit the
Munsell or the soil for that matter, but the use of a helter-skelter
descriptive vocabulary could compound the problem as well.  For example,
I'm not so sure I know what seaweed green looks like.  Being an avid
sushi buff, I am familliar with several shades of seaweed.  My point is,
that we must be careful when trying to describe colors.  These things can
be important.  The munsell is simply a standard code we all recognize.
Though it may be frustrating, its all we have right now.  I would like to
see an easier system developed--one that would allow us to recreate the
colors we find in the ground, as opposed to trying to conform our ground
colors to the book.

Joel Tyberg
Department of Anthropology
University of Maryland