From:
Barry Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 08:44:19 -0500
I may be a bit behind,(I havent read my e-mail for an entire day and it
sure piles up quickly) But in line with what Kathleen had said about WIC
and formula, maybe there could be a monetary benefit to not using formula
and to breastfeed. Instead of WIC not paying for the formula, could there
be a credit (money or addition food stamps etc.) if a mother does not
take the formula and agrres to breastfeed the baby. This of course would
have to be done in conjunction with educating the mom about the benefits
of nursing, otherwise we are back to the problem of putting the baby at
risk ( not nursing enough or buying less formula and diluting it)
I don't remember who was "speaking" about this,(I know it was a WIC
counselor) but when counseling moms, we have to remember where they are
coming from. In some cultures it was and still is a sign of poverty to
nurse your baby, because it means you cannot afford formula. We have to
take all this into consideration when helping a mom.

Jayne Miller,  LLLL Bronx, NYC