From:
Franklin Humphrey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 1996 21:59:00 -0500
I have been experimenting with peppermint oil to combat   t  mites.  There
have been several letters to the editor stories ABJ attesting to the success
of this treatment.  Menthol, the normal treatment for  T  mites, is derived
from peppermint.  The problem with it is that irritates the bees and
sometimes they propolize the holes in the bag thus negating its
effectiveness.

I use a mixture of 2 ML peppermint oil diluted in 1 quart of 1:1 syrup.  I
spray this directly on the bees while I m doing a hive inspections in early
spring.  I discontinue treatment during the honey flow and begin again after
the flow.  The mixture irritates the bees but they must eat it off themselves
and the hive parts to clean it up.  Consequently, the fumes stay in the hive
for about a week

Last spring when I started using this treatment, I had had heavy spring
losses even though I had menthol on all hives.  When I discovered this it was
mid April because I was recovering from bypass surgery and hadn t been able
to adequately tend the bees.  My options were limited given my physical
condition at the time.  I started the treatment on one hive of yellow
Italians that was by this time in very bad condition.  Within 3 weeks I the
condition of the bees improved dramatically. For the rest of the year I used
this colony as a brood donor in order to get new colonies started.  Over the
course of the summer, I removed approximately 20 frames of brood and they
still managed to make 1 super of surplus honey.

Starting in august of last year, I treated five colonies with the peppermint
oil treatment, with  Apistan for Varoa mites.  None of the five were lost
during winter.  These hives are well into spring buildup and are some of the
healthiest I ve had in years.

I ve been told that the University of Maryland is researching the use of
essential oil for control of mites but I ve not seen any results of their
findings.

Frank Humphrey