From:
Linda Pohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 1995 12:57:11 -0700
>I have never been in a situation where Reglan, or anything else
>for that matter, has been appropriate.  Can anyone supply
>information on indications and dosage etc.
>Thanks

Sarah,

I have only seen a couple of cases where I thought medications might be
appropriate.  These were cases where we had tried every thing else to
increase a supply, frequent nursing, pumping, SNS.  The mom had been checked
for retained placenta, thyroid problems, etc.  Usually the mother had her
supply sabatoged (sp?) in the early days and never recovered.  With these
moms, milk is as important as the nursing, sometimes even more important.  I
also talk to these moms and tell them about the side effects, tell them that
there no guarentees that it will work, and then send them to their
physician.  If they are not willing to nurse and let the relationship be the
primary goal, then I have found these moms are willing to deal with the side
effects of the medications.  As far as dosages, since I am not an MD, I have
the doctor prescribe.  I remember reading them somewhere, and could find
them if needed but, only as information to the physician so he/she could
prescribe dosage.  Hope you do not see a mom that does need these meds.

All the Best,

Linda Pohl, IBCLC
Phoenix, Arizona USA