From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 1995 08:51:27 -0400
I asked Jack Newman MD about this , in the spring of this year. He runs a bf
clinic in Toronto..and to my mind is very knowledgeable. He told me that he
uses it all the time...and that used correctly, and for a LIMITED period of
time...I think only 2 or 3 days...a few times a day..with a .5% solution in
WATER....(I have a handout on this....from him)...that it is safe.

He examined the study. He couldn't even find the study in any major
library...had to request it from some small small medical school in some
small state in middle US..and when he got it....he explained that the
amounts of gentian violet in CONCENTRATED amounts for LONG LONG
PERIODS....were what they based this info on.  He also explained that it is
cheap, the mom can do it herself..and it works.

I gave Jan Barger a hard time about this one...because who wants to
recommend something that is carcinogenic. However, Jack convinced me.   In
my locale, we have to have moms ORDER gentian violet in water...     1/2%,
because it usually comes in alcohol. Dr. Newman convinced me that this was
an appropriate treatment, although I have not seen the study...GV is also
mentioned on Kay Hoover's Thrush/yeast fact sheet.

Kathleen
"Even against stupidity, the Gods battle in vain..." Goethe
Kathleen B. Bruce mother, BSN, IBCLC, LLL Leader (7 yrs),
Co-Owner Lactnet,  E-Mail = [log in to unmask]
LACTNET WWW site: http://www.mcs.com/~auerbach/lactation.html