From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 1995 00:25:22 -0600
As a matter of what I think is fact, hirshsprungs reaches its peak before
diagnosis to a less severe extent that abm fed babies...breastfed babies
obviously have runnier stools. Hirshsprung babies get into trouble because
they have an atonic segment. A baby that is breastfed and isn't stooling
for 4-7 days in the first 4 weeks is hopefully going to raise some
eyebrows, whereas an abm fed baby's parent may call and call, and get the
response that constipation is a normal variant...therefore the abm fed baby
is more likely to get more ill before diagnosed. I decided this after
hearing a recent lecture on Hirschsprungs.-Anne Eglash MD