From:
JoAnn Barham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 1995 21:53:28 -0400
I have a question about a possible link between consuming dairy foods and ear
infections in nursing babies/children.

With my first son, I had no dairy in my diet, and he had no ear infections.
With my second son, I avoided dairy the first few months and gradually added
it to my diet. He had ear infections continually until he weaned at 2 years
of age. He did not then and still does not drink cow's milk, nor does he eat
much dairy. He hasn't had an ear infection since he weaned....With my third
son, I've had some dairy in my diet, but haven't been drinking milk. He has
his first ear infection at 5 months old. I am planning to avoid all dairy
again to see what happens, if anything.

Can this be coincidence, or does anyone know of solid research in this area?
My second son was on sulfa drugs 1/2 the year for 2 years, to try to avoid
infections and tubes. (Never did tubes.) He still got infections frequently,
but not every month!

My other question is, what tricks can I use to get medicine down my 5 month
old?! He resists all attempts. We've abandoned the Amoxil 3x a day, to try
Suprax 1x daily. It's still a struggle, and I don't know that he's getting
ANY. He spits it all out. I have tried pinching cheeks, holding his nose,
making him "chew," holding his chin up (mouth closed), etc. I've never had so
much trouble before! He can wait a LONG time w/out swallowing, I have
discovered. And all these medications stain everything! And unfortunately,
the doctor and nurses don't seem to have any suggestions at all, except to
make me feel silly for not being able to get it down him! (One nurse
suggested mixing it w/formula in a bottle. Nope, I said.) Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

JoAnn ([log in to unmask])
(LLL Leader in OKC)