From:
Sulman Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 1995 22:21:02 +0500
I just realized I wanted to say a little more on toddler nursing.  My twins
(the youngest of 5 kids) spent the last year or so of their nursing
experience in nursing just about 5 minutes a day - to fall asleep at night.
 I'd lie down with them on their bed and they would both conk out within a
few minutes - almost like being drugged.  We never had the slightest
problems getting them to settle down to bed (when I was home).  So older
toddlers and preschoolers don't nurse like newborns, though young todlers
may go through times of wanting to nurse very frequently for reassurance,
especially just before reaching a new milestone.  It is possible to make
bargains with them as to time, place, etc. as they get older, so that you
are comfortable with the nursing situation. If I wasn't home at bedtime,
the boys would lie down with Dad, and I'd sometimes find them all asleep in
a pile on our bed when I got home.  One night we had company and in the
excitement they forgot to nurse.  And after a few days we realized they
hadn't nursed for some time, and the breastfeeding had quietly drifted away
and ended without anyone realizing.  We did not know that that last time
was the end when it happened. I think they were 3 and a half. We
substituted, or rather just continued, bedtime stories and snuggling and
talking and singing favorite lullabies and that became the new routine.
Sort of a gradual transition.
Anne Altshuler, RN, MS, IBCLC and LLL Leader in Madison, WI