HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scott joseph allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 1997 12:43:57 -0500
Please pass this on to other interested faculty/graduate students. The
conference will pick up housing and meal tab though not transportation to
and from Brazil. Thanks - Scott J. Allen

First International Meeting
of Archaeological Theory in South America

sponsored by

The World Archaeology Congress
Society for Brazilian Archaeology
Universidade de São Paulo
&
Universidade de Campinas

September 9-12, 1997
São Paulo and Campinas, Brazil

Symposia

"Theory and Practice in Historical Archaeology"

We are seeking papers which treat theory in historical archaeology
generally, or discuss specific case studies within theoretical contexts.
Though papers may treat any world region, the issues addressed should be
relevant to similar problems in South America. Submissions might include,
for example, landscape studies, ethnic and cultural identity, the
archaeology of gender, the relationship between the written word and the
archaeological record, contested pasts, and the role of historical
archaeology in contemporary political and social contexts. Presentations
shall be 20 minutes with discussion to follow. Please submit an abstract of
no more than 250 words by April 1, 1997. Presentations may be in any
language - we will try to provide hard-copy translations.

Send Abstracts to:

Scott Joseph Allen
Av. Jose Sampaio Luz, 353  Apto 202
Bairro - Ponta Verde    CEP 57.035.260
Maceio, Alagoas, Brasil

preferably, email to: [log in to unmask]