HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Nancy O'Malley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 08:33:17 EDT
I am sending in this request for information for a colleague who does not
have access to email.  Can anyone provide some archaeological references
for excavations of salt works?  Kurt Fiegel of the Kentucky Transportation
Cabinet is analyzing the results of a really interesting excavation of
Drennon Springs (in Kentucky) in which deep trenches complete with preserved
iron salt kettles and lot of wood charcoal were found.  This salt works
operated during the late 18th and early 19th centuries (I am not sure of
the exact years, but it was definitely associated with the early historic
settlement of Kentucky).  If anyone knows of any comparative information,
please let me know, and I will pass it on to Kurt.  Thanks.