HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Susan Snow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 13:55:01 -0500
Histarch participants have been so helpful in the past, I have another
query. We excavated an unusual feature in Lee County in southeastern Iowa
along Highway 218 this spring. The site was located in an area first settled
in the 1840s called Clay Grove. The site was identified by a small amount of
brick and limestone associated with an open cobble-lined well in the woods.
The well is located outside of the impact area for the pending construction
so we placed tests closer to the highway, 15 m west of the well  but within
the wooded area. We did not expect to find much but uncovered a limestone
cobble pavement approximately 1-x-2 m at roughly 40 cm below ground surface.
The pavement was approximately 2 cobbles thick but without any obviously
deliberate layering. Almost no artifacts were associated with the limestone
cobbles other than four complete or nearly complete soft mud bricks, a
broken but complete medicine bottle, and a complete soda/mineral bottle. The
few artifacts recovered indicate an ca. 1850-1880 time period. My question
is what could the cobble pavement be. The water table is so high that our
units were constantly filling with water and this was in April when we were
still in our "drought" before the rains began again. Suggestions we have
received include some sort of drainage tile system or the floor of a water
trough for cattle/horses. We were not able to test nearer to the limestone
well where there appears to be a pile of building rubble because it was
outside of the area of impact. If anyone has any ideas on what this
limestone cobble pavement may have functioned as I would appreciate the
input. We are particularly interested in what other types of archaeological
features might be expected to be found with such a pavement.

Thanks for your input.

Susan Snow
Project Archaeologist
Office of the State Archaeologist