HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
MARK HENDERSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 09:03:28 -0700
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: History of Ash Trays

Linda Young might have her student contact Brian Heath of Heath
Ceramics, Sausalito California.  A family anecdote is that Brian Heath
invented the notch in the modern ash tray that with slight pressure,
grips the cigarette in the tray.  Supposedly he and Heath Ceramics won
a design award from some fire safety organization for this simple
invention which caused abandoned butts to snuff themselves out.  I
suspect this innovation, which still is not universally used, would
have occurred forty to fifty years ago.  Heath ceramics still
manufactures ash trays as far as I know (along with dinner ware and
ceramic tile).  I do wonder if the ash tray business has dropped off?
Would you let me know if you  pursue this lead or find out?  Otherwise
I would be interested in the general results of the investigation too.
Hope this helps.
Mark Henderson (702)289-1800, Ely, Nevada.