HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Richard F. Veit" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 1995 19:44:31 -0400
Just thought that I would add my two cents, pun intended, to the metal
detecting discussion.  Another solution to omnipresent metal detectors on
military sites might be to recruit them.  They are interested in the
past, though for different reasons than many of us, and they have time,
something in short supply.  Garry Wheeler Stone at Monmouth Battlefied
State Park in New Jersey has recruited and re-educated a whole contingent
of metal detector afficianados.  Working together they have been able to
present some fascinating insights into troop movements during an important
 Rev. War battle.  While this solution is obviously not applicable to all sites,
 it
has worked well here, and brought two disparate groups of people with a
mutual interest in the past together, to everyone's benefit.

Rich

--
Richard Veit

(215) 476-4731