HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chuck Niquette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 10:40:59 -0400
Anita posted the following note yesterday:

>Although the practice of historical archaeology seems to be alive >and well
>in the field of cultural resource management, it apparently cannot >get one
>job in the academic world. I know that there are people out there >teaching
>historical archaeology, but no current openings. Even the >openings that do
>exist (in archaeology in general) turn their noses up at the >mention
ofhistorical archaeology (at least, IMHO).
>   What is going on out there? Has historical archaeology become >such a
minor subfield that no one wants to learn/teach the >subject? Will those of
us
>trained in the field become as esoteric as someone teaching >Akkadian? Is
there
>a future for historical archaeology in (US) universities?

First, the ivory towers of academia have little or  no relevance to the
practice of CRM.  Academia is not prepared, or interested, in preparing
students to perform well  in the real world.   CRM remains the bastard
step-child.  Interestingly, academia has yet to discover that 95% of all
archeology done in the USA  today is being done as compliance research.
 Similarly, academia doesn't seem to recognize that it is CRM that provides
the lion's share of jobs in archeology. Not to worry,  Newt has a plan!

Secondly, historical archeology is a figment of your imagination.  The meat
of the matter is that we all do archeology.

Chuck