From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 1996 14:13:23 -0500
On Fri, 23 Feb 1996, gary oberton wrote:

> I've been having more than my share of acarine related winter losses
> the last 4 years . Way more. What I'm wondering is are there truly   acarine
> resistant queens out there? I bought queens from 4 sources last year
> all of whom claimed at least some resistance. Initial spot checks on my
> outdoor wintered colonies show up to 50% loss in some yards. With the boxes
> still heavy. Lots of dead bees out front.  Bees I sent to Calif. have fared much

        First, how sure are you that tracheal mites are the problem? Sending
a sample of bees to a lab could help.
        I may be getting a bit repetitious but unless there is good control
over the matings, resistance is unlikely. We have some good lines (tested)
and there are several breeders in Ontario who have been breeding for HTM
resistance. How resistant? We have stopped all chemical control measures
and in our selected lines have seen very few mites in field tests. Mite
levels in our colonies that have not been requeened with the new stock
run from mild to severe. The program is only 4 yrs old so I think there will still
be some HTM losses even if these queens are used. However, improvement
is made with each generation.

  bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb
  b                                                              b
  b    Vince & Carole Coppola                [log in to unmask]   b
  b    Coppola Apiaries,                     (716)965-2904       b
  b    10220 Bradigan Rd.                                        b
  b    Forestville, N.Y. 14062                                   b
  b                                                              b
  b    Queens bred for tracheal mite resistance                  b
  b    Honey , Pollination                                       b
  b    Western New York Beekeepers Association                   b