From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 23:35:31 -0400
Jay:  Mature term human milk has approximately 65-67 cal/100 ml (range
57-72 per Riordan and Auerbach's "Breastfeeding and Human Lactation"),
and ABM has 67.  For preemies, preterm human milk at 1 week postpartum
has 67 cal/100ml and at 4 weeks 70.  I couldn't find the caloric content
of preemie ABM's but in both Riordan and Auerbach and Lawrence's texts,
there is a table showing components of preterm milk with and without
human milk fortifiers.  The liquid fortifier adds 6 calories/100ml when
mixed in 50:50 ratio with EBM, while the powder fortifier adds 14
calories/100ml when mixed with EBM.  My understanding is that the
fortifiers are usually needed only for the very low birth weight babies.
Perhaps the neonatologist was alluding to this difference.  Alicia.