From:
Diana Design <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Oct 1995 09:24:24 -0400
I think AOL is being stingy with my Lactnet digests, so forgive me if this
has already been discussed. I'm puzzled about the link between breastfeeding
and
the oral bacteria that contributes to dental caries. What is it about nursing
that
increases the risk of transmission from mom to baby? I've worked with bottle-
feeding moms for many years and can assure you that they kiss, cuddle and get
their faces right up to baby's face all the time. Also, since nearly 100% of
these
babies have pacifiers & a common way for mom to clean the pacifier is with
her
mouth, it seems like this would present a greater risk to baby than
breastfeeding.

TIA,
Diana Dietz, RN