HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 14:35:29 -0700
Apparently, what I had feared has happened. It looks like ALL the undergrad
and graduate students in the historical archaeology program at the University
of West Florida were given the assignment to subscribe to 7 or 8 Internet
discussion lists (HISTARCH, SPANBORD, and NAUTARCH (which has ceased) among
them), and ask questions on the lists. That is why we are getting such an
influx at this particular time.

As a librarian who often has to deal with similar bizarre assignments at the
reference desk, I would like to ask that instructors refrain from doing this
sort of thing. I don't mind if an assignment is given that suggests that
people subscribe to a discussion list, and then lurk for awhile to see what is
going on there. Some of the questions that have been asked, though, clearly
show that the student/patron is not waiting, but jumps right in with their
question, no matter how out of place it actually is.

I will be reposting the Netiquitte Guide shortly.

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
[log in to unmask]  Owner: HISTARCH, SPANBORD, SUB-ARCH