HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
ROLLA QUEEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 1995 07:10:25 -0700
I have come across oblong/oval shaped tin cans that would otherwise be
thought of as sardine or fish type cans that were used for vegetables.
In one case the can was clearly marked "Monterey Tomatoes".  Unless that
is a species of fish with which I am not familiar, I think one can assume
that early tin canning practices were still rather experimental and not
standardized.  In the case of the tomatoes, it may have been that given
the Monterey fish canning industry, that those types of cans were what
was available, so they just adapted them to other food types.  Can
shape does not necessarily define content, so although you can make an
educated guess, don't assume anything.