From:
Tim Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 03:30:55 -0500
Having been reading the BEE-L postings for a little while, and

finding the notes interesting, I haven't felt compelled to contribute

my two cents worth, until I read this article.

>The suitability of plastic frames for wintering is an issue that has
 >been raised by some beekeepers (non-users). Personnally I have not
 >really tested them yet. I have seen pictures though of beautiful

strong
 >colonies, all on plastic, in a Alberta wintering yard with plenty

of
 >snow surrounding them. Plastic frames are a new thing in my area. I

was
 >the first to introduce them in Quebec two years ago. So nobody

really
 >has a good experience with them.

 I thought I might take the opportunity to respond to the question,

as
 the pictures John-Pierre spoke of where probably of my hives. We
 currently have 1300 colonies wintered outdoors in three standard

supers with approx. 30% pierco plastic frames in the brood
 nests. We have been using them in the brood nests for three years,

with
 no noticable difference in wintering ability. As the plastic frame

is
 "open", there is no cold sink areas.

 As Kerry mentioned, at the panel discussion in Portland, the

question of
 wintering was raised, also the question of coloring the plastic was
 spoken of, with the understanding that it may be helpful in

wintering.
 Pierco is offering coloring, but I am not sure on what differences

it would make. If possible I will be more than happy to answer any
question I can on Pierco.

 Tim Townsend
 TPLR Honey Farms
 RR1