From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 1995 11:17:00 +0000
> Allen, I liked your reply...... however.... I think your formula
> will result in an extractor running too fast.

The reason for a two speed motor is based on the techniques of using a
tangential extractor - which are different from those used with a
radial.

First you spin one side of the frames at *low* speed, because they
         are heavy and the honey cannot escape from the inside surface

Then stop and flip the frames,

Then run the second side at 'low' until most of the honey is out

Then switch to 'high' (or if the honey is thin, you could have gone
         straight to high speed on the second side)

Then stop and flip the frames, then run the first side again - this
      time on 'high'.

> 1.  Turn the extractor by hand and have someone count the rpms of
> the baskets at the speed that you have found works well.
> 2.  Find any low speed motor (1725 rpm) and mount as suggested.
> 3.  Select your two pulleys to drive the extractor at the selected
> speed.
> As you will be using only one speed and it will be easy to let the
> machine run longer than when turning it by hand you may want to try
> a lower speed.

If you use only one speed, you will have to settle on a speed that
does not break the first side (or bend the baskets) and that will be
too slow to dry the frames properly

I stick by my original post.

Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                    VE6CFK
Rural Route One, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada  T0M 1Y0
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>