From:
"Dr. Tom Hale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 12:25:34 -0500
To Jan Aken:

        Yes,  I'm out here... however some say I'm not with it!!
Neveretheless,  your question on lecithin is interesting.   I can find no
reference in Ruth's 4th edition,  she may have deleted the reference in this
newer edition.

        Lecithin is a normal phospholipid,  with two fatty acids in the 1
and 2 position and choline on the third position of a glycerol molecule.
Phosphotidylcholine is a normal constitutent in most foods and is
synthesized by most tissues in the body.  Its primary function is to
"solubilize"  triglyceride droplets by providing an interface between
lipophilic substances(triglycerides) and water.  Once solubilized,  the
droplet is internalized in the enterocytes, and digested.   Remember 80% of
food triglycerides are fully digested to fatty acids,  which are then
absorbed.    The tissue that produces the most lecithin is the liver, and it
is normally secreted in large quantities in the biliary secretions into the
small intestine.   I cannot find the exact amount,  but it is likely that
significant quantities of phospholipids are hydrolyzed by pancreatic enzymes
prior to absorption in the intestine.  So a good question that remains,  is
how much of this phospholipid is actually absorbed "intact" as a
phospholipid rather than as a monoglyceride,  or choline alone.  In high
doses,  choline is reportedly toxic.  I do not know what high doses mean,
probably many grams.   Lecithin is generally available in capsules
containing 250-1000 mg of lecithin.   Doseage recommendations are noticeably
absent in most of the literature I can readily find.   One current liquid
preparation(PhosChol-ATN) contains 3000 mg/5 cc.

        Remember that choline in overdose produces a clinical depression in
some patients.   Again I do not know the dose.  In addition,  excessive
choline in the gut is metabolized by intestinal bacteria to trimethylamine
which imparts an unpleasant odor to the breath and body.

        Finally,  I am a big believer in that IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW,  OR IF
IT WORKS,   DON'T USE IT !       But lecithin is a normal dietary
constitutent and I don't think small doses(1-2 gms/day) would hurt an adult,
but I don't really know.    Phospholipids are normal components in human
milk(they produce micellar droplets of lipid) and I am certain that the
alveolar cell synthesizes all it really needs anyway,  and would more or
less exclude higher levels from the milk.

        I am sorry there is no concrete answer to your question,  but I
believe moderation is warranted.

T.W. Hale, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Texas Tech University School of Medicine