From:
Elizabeth Peyton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 1995 07:11:54 -0500
  Send mail to [log in to unmask] for more info.

---559023410-1804928587-809179914=:3480

I cant remember who asked about advice regarding a postpartum
breastfeeding class for moms who had been discharged early. As I
remember, this person was developing a class for moms to attend within
the first two or three days after discharge.

When I began to encouraged women to return home soon after birth, I would
see them in the office within 48 hours.  I have stopped this , and see
them at home instead.  Requiring a new mother to leave her home within
the first week postpartum just interferes with her sleep.  Offering her a
service she must get out to take advantage of is no favor.  I know that
home visits are problematic, but I really don't know how to
support new families any other way.  You know, IV's are problematic, but
we know there is really no equivalent way to deliver the drug, so we do
what it takes.

On another topic, I would encourage all of us who are out there telling
moms like it is about the dangers of artificial feeding to remember not
to bash the formula itself too badly.  If women do not give their
children human milk, they should feed formula (abm, I know, I know, Im
taking a while to get used to the term).  If women get the message wrong,
and think the problem is the abm, they may substitute something else
instead.  The problem is not the abm, it is the failure to give human
milk.  I really think that our language needs to primarily emphasize the
magical, powerful effects of human milk.  Without saying anything about
abm, we can imply that there is no replacement for this incredible
substance.

Elizabeth A. Peyton, MD, physician midwife, [log in to unmask]

---559023410-1804928587-809179914=:3480--