Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 1996 18:12:46 +0700
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <dicka@[204.50.6.4]>
> I am new to beekeeping, and am very ignorant on the subject.

I have been a beekeeper for a quarter century or more and am still
ignorant :)

( I can hear a few out there whisper 'Amen' ).

Seems the bees don't read the books.

> The hive is in very poor condition and I guess that the bees will need
> to be transferred to a new hive, but I don't know when or how to go about
> doing this. Can anyone suggest a good book that is definitely a required
> reading for beginners.

Here's a chance to plug the book list that Dave maintains at one of
the beekeeping web sites (see sig).

(Aside)  If any of you have something worthwhile to put on
the web, let me know and we'll publish it.

> Sorry for this lengthy post and thanks to all of you for keeping this area
> active for novices such as myself.

Thank you for coming by and asking questions that we can answer.

If you don't have web access, just say so and someone will mail you a
copy of the book list

Personally the only bee book I personally found right to the point
was Walter T Kelley's "How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey".  But there
are others.  The Hive and Honeybee - in its many reincarnations -  is
very good.  The ABC & XYZ is getting better.

As far as the bees and transferring them, don't bee too hasty.  They
may have lasted 8 years - or bee a swarm that moved in.

If they chose the hive, they must like it.  If you help them live
there, they will make you some honey.

In beekeeping, it's mostly what you *don't* do that counts.
Regards

Allen

W. Allen Dick, Beekeeper                                         VE6CFK
RR#1, Swalwell, Alberta  Canada T0M 1Y0  Internet:[log in to unmask]
Honey. Bees, Art, & Futures <http://www.cuug.ab.ca:8001/~dicka>