Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Karen Koss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jul 1995 20:17:54 -0400
I have personal experience with "milk-leg", which is indeed thrombophlebitis.
In 1968, about ten days after the birth of my first daughter, my leg suddenly
became VERY swollen and very painful. Walking was impossible.

I was told by the physicians at the military hospital that this meant a blood
clot in a deep vein and that it could be a very serious problem if not
treated. Treatment at that time consisted of hospitalization and intravenous
administration of blood thinners-either heparin or coumadin(sp).

I had been breastfeeding against all odds. (After my daughter's birth I was
the only mother in the ward or 6 women who was breastfeeding, and after we
were permitted to pick up our babies to feed them, the curtains were drawn
around me to separate me from the other mothers). I was the only woman on the
navy base breastfeeding her baby!

Three weeks later the swelling and pain became even more severe, so I agreed
to treatment. And  babies were not permitted to visit patients in the
hospital.  Of course, I weaned.  It was unneccessary to wean, but no one had
any information to provide me and what did I know?

Incidently, while the treatment provided good results, I felt the effects in
my leg for 8 years. It would swell with increased exercise, and sometimes was
painful during severe barometric pressure  changes.

I was able to hear many stories about milk-leg from my mother's generation.
 The physicians attributed it to a complication of either childbirth or the
early version of the bc pill.

Thanks everyone, for sharing your expertise on the Lactnet. I'm hooked!  I
sneak to the computer when I can't sleep at night!

Karen Koss