From:
Lesley McBurney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2006 12:00:47 +1000
The Nursing Mothers' Association of Australia has recently launched the
Mother-friendly Workplace Initiative.  After publicising it as widely as
possible, NMAA in Brisbane, Queensland will present the first
Mother-friendly Workplace Award with great fanfare and as many politicians,
union officials, government department bigwigs, women's organisation
representatives as we can muster.

Re "nursing" vs "breastfeeding", NMAA was given its name over 31 years ago,
because we weren't allowed to use the word "breastfeeding" in the telephone
directory as it was considered obscene.  Now in this country, the latter is
the universal term and we have lots of problems being known as Nursing
Mothers'.  I work in the Queensland Branch office where we receive a
constant stream of phone calls and mail from everyone from the Alzheimer's
Association to hospital staff reunion organisers.  I'm with Chele Marmet on
this one.

Lesley McBurney, mother of 13-year-old Heather, breastfed for 3 yrs 3 mths;
very macho 9-year-old David, breastfed for 3 yrs 9 mths; 42-year-old Michael
and Pate Biscuit the cat (grasshopper killer supreme).