From:
Anne Eglash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 22:13:23 -0500
The stimulant in chocolate is actually theobromine, in tea is caffeine and
theophylline, and in coffee is caffeine. These are all under the category
of methylxanthines, and the 3 vary in terms of their effects, caffeine I
believe is more CNS active, whereas, theophylline is more peripherally
active ( ie more tremulousness and palpitations). A good source to review
is Goodman and Gilman, a pharmacology book which explains this topic well.
I don't have the source with me, but I think that theobromine is the
weakest stimulant of the 3. Could have fooled me though, as I cannot handle
chocolate after 12 noon...maybe there is synergy between the sugar and the
theobromine. Anyway, my 2 year old is extremely sensitive to caffeine and
theobromine, not much to some tea though. He will be up reliably at least
until 2-3am if I have chocolate or coffee after 12 noon, and then
breastfeed him before bedtime. I believe that the chemicals accumulate in
my breastmilk all day, and he gets his dose at nite!-Anne Eglash