HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Rotenstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Feb 1995 10:09:05 +0500
Surfer is available from Golden Software. Phone: 1-800-972-1021. Surfer
now is available for Windows. Both DOS and Windows versions cost $499.

The program that I use for historical collections is Paradox 4.5. I set
up linked databases using the Ohio Dept. of Transportation system. This
enables me to do basic inventories and export raw data to Surfer and
spreadsheet programs. Using the Paradox Applications Language (PAL), it
is possible to create applications that will compute mean ceramic dates
 and just about any other quantitative analysis you need.  The Ohio DOT
system is great because it provides you with the database structures and
the codes for artifacts, etc.

David S. Rotenstein