HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Veit <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 23:21:29 -0400
About Brickmaking

    In the late 1980s/early 1990s the Cultural Resource Consulting Group,
formerly Research and Archaeological Management, carried out a Phase IB
survey of the Sayre and Fisher Enamel Brick works in Sayreville,NJ.  They are
located in Highland Park, NJ. Louis Berger and Associates in East Orange, NJ
carried out a more extensive study of the Sayre and Fisher common brick works
at about the same time.  Copies of both reports should be on file at the New
Jersey Historic Preservation Office in Trenton, Sayreville is located in
Middlesex County.  Though not directly addressing the issues you are
interested in, you may want to consult the National Park Service volume,
which I believe is titled, "Brickworks Towns."  It deals specifically with
southwestern Pennsylvania. Sorry about the partial reference, I don't have
the book here with me. I have also found "The Archaeology of the Lincoln
Pottery Works" (Schoen and Bleed 1993) useful in my research on terra cotta
factory organization, it may help with brickworks as well.

Good luck,

Rich Veit