From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 1995 22:50:10 -0400
Jan:  Despite the fact that some may glaze over at the thought of even
more than a few days or weeks, I like to inform them anyway that although
any breastfeeding is better than none at all, studies show that exclusive
breastfeeding for at least 4 months of age significantly reduces ear
infections and gastroenteritis.  I also like to quote the AAP, but tend
to avoid WHO in these early prenatal folks.  I have had a number of
people tell me that after hearing my talk, they decided to breastfeed
longer than they had planned.  There was a woman at one of my talks who
was sure she would have to wean at two months, because she had to go away
on a week-long business trip without her baby.  After hearing my talk,
she was determined to pump and keep up her milk supply while away (she
was even planning to work on a frozen breast milk supply for her baby for
her absence).  It's amazing what specific information relevant to a
particular mother's concerns can do.  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]