From:
"Lisa A. Marasco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 1995 07:39:49 -0700
Elisa,
Reglan and cereal are common treatments around here, too, and I also feel
buggy. I can handle the reglan, but cereal????!!!  I much prefer to work
with upright positions, and also have grave concerns that the benefits of
cereal are far outweighed by the risks of allergies and stress to the
immature digestive system. I have not heard of milk in a mother's diet
being the cause of this before and have followed this discussion closely.
I will explore that issue with the next mother/baby with this problem
that I come across and see how it goes.

A weak esophageal sphincter is
often a factor in GER, and this is seen often during pregnancy because
pregnancy hormones relax all of the muscles, including this one, PLUS
there is the pressure of the intruding baby in the abdominal cavity
pushing up, up, up, of course.  Heartburn is the result of these factors,
not the cause, and is just the washing of burning stomach acids back up
the esophagus. Bradycardia and apnea are the real issues, but we have
babies who don't suffer these problems, just choked once on an early
feeding, and get thrown onto drugs right away. I'm not sure how I feel
about this, wish that maybe they would monitor a little longer before
going the full intervention..... but this is out of my league, and just
my humble opinion.
-Lisa

Lisa A. Marasco, IBCLC                                /  [log in to unmask]
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant    /  [log in to unmask]