HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 11:23:55 -0700
  The NCCC crew members and volunteers are working in four different rooms in
the soldiers' quarters of the presidio. Three of these rooms appear to have
tile floors, but it is too soon to say for sure.
  One of the rooms has a layer of sand with tile laid carefully on top of it.
Our Project Director, Dr. Jack Williams, thinks that it might be some sort of
water filtering device or setup [any ideas on this? Has anyone else seen
something like this?].
  We have found many artifacts, shells, and animal bones. The glazed wares
include Chinese porcelain (both underglazed blue, and overglazed polychrome),
English transferwares, and maiolica. Of the maiolica, the type that is coming
up most frequently is the San Elizario Polychrome (blue with black hatching
lines).
  We will continue to unearth the rooms in the soldiers' quarters through the
end of the project (December 9). The next phase of the project will begin in
January. If you are in San Diego, drop by the site!

Anita Cohen-Williams; Reference Services; Hayden Library
Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ  85287-1006
PHONE: (602) 965-4579              FAX: (602) 965-9169
INTERNET: [log in to unmask]   Owner: HISTARCH